The SafeDig service depicts our clean and wastewater assets on a map.

United Utilities provides this service in line with the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991 (NRSWA). Therefore access to SafeDig is restricted to local authorities and only those organisations who need to excavate within the public highway or footpath.

If you match this criteria please complete a registration form for consideration. An apporopriate Section 50 notice or equivalent information may be required to validate that excavation work is taking place. If your organisation is using contractors for excavation works, then it is the contractor company who should apply for SafeDig access.

If excavation work will not be taking place within the public highway/footpath, access to SafeDig will not be granted.

The alternative options to SafeDig are:

  • Domestic customers, builders or other companies who need visibility of our asset data can purchase a plan from our Property Searches team
  • Developers should contact United Utilities' Developer Services teams - Clean water or wastewater. Please also send C2 & C3 requests to the relevant Developer Services team

If you are a registered users and are having technical problems with SafeDig, please raise this with your IT Department. If they are unable to assist, contact the SafeDig Administrators. The mailbox is monitored Monday to Friday 9am-4pm.

Please note that the position of the underground apparatus shown on SafeDig is approximate only and is given in accordance with the best information currently available. United Utilities Water will not accept liability for any loss or damage concerned by the actual position being different from those shown.

Register for SafeDig

Log in to SafeDig