Affordability in the North West
Affordability is a hugely important issue for many people in the region and lowering bills and helping customers out of water poverty is a priority for us.
We serve many of the most economically deprived areas in England and Wales, so it is more important than ever that we are doing what we can to help those customers who are struggling with their bills.
We are currently supporting more than 200,000 customers with their payments with around £280 million of affordability support being given over the 2020-2025 period.
Supporting customers with additional needs is also important. More than 180,000 customers have now registered for our free Priority Services register which helps vulnerable customers who need extra support and we’re continuing to make sure all customers with additional needs across the North West are fully supported by us.
Here’s some facts and figures about the support we’re providing to our customers in the North West.
- More than 200,000 customers currently receiving help with their bills
- Over 20,000 customers currently being supported through the payment matching scheme
- In 2022, more than 12,000 customers became debt free through the payment matching scheme
- More than £140 million in support funded by United Utilities
- More than 180,000 customers now registered for our Priority Services scheme
- 35,000 home visits a year to help customers receive the right support
- £3.5 million investment in Restart Grants (2022/23)
- Additional 25,000 customers benefiting from a capped lower bill since January 2018
- Now helping 183,000 customers via capped lower bill