By Nick Hulme
The recycling bin is full of wine bottles, the remains of the Christmas cheese has come alive in the fridge and you can't decide what's more depressing - your waistline or your bank balance.
If you're making it your mission to go from bloated and broke to buff and beautiful in 2016, don't forget that tap water can be your best friend.
Drinking around two litres a day can improve your physical and mental wellbeing, help you lose weight and make you more attractive (really!)
A spokesperson from United Utilities said: "For many of us, New Year diets and gym routines often lapse by February, but drinking plenty of water is something we should all try to maintain in 2016.
Staying well hydrated has enormous health benefits, and it's also relatively cheap. Customers in the North West pay around £1 per day for all their water and sewerage services - so even if your bank balance is feeling the strain, this is one New Year resolution you can afford to keep."
Here are seven reasons why you should reach for that glass of tap water:
- Lose weight: a recent study by the University of Birmingham found that people who drank water 30 minutes before meals lost more weight than those that didn't. The water, so the theory goes, takes up tummy room, making you feel fuller and less hungry. Has to be worth a try!
- Detox: a curly kale and oxygen smoothie for breakfast is all well and good, but don't forget that the humble glass of tap water is brilliant at flushing out toxins and preventing kidney stones and urinary infections.
- Reduce wrinkles: water moisturises your skin and is arguably the best anti-ageing treatment on the market. Remember that before you shell out for fancy miracle creams!
- Boosts your immune system: water can help you fend off viruses, by boosting your immune system. Man flu? Pah!
- Natural headache remedy: headaches are often caused by dehydration, ergo, plenty of water means fewer 'not tonight darling' moments.
- Beat the snack attacks: when you are dehydrated, your body will often tell you you're hungry. Instead of raiding your Christmas selection box, try a glass of water to beat those cravings.
- Boost your concentration: water helps you think and focus more effectively, and keeps you feeling energised. 2016, we're ready for you!