• Water supplies returning for Eden Valley homes and businesses
• Discoloured water may take a little time to clear
United Utilities is gradually restoring water supplies across the Eden Valley area of Cumbria after successfully repairing a water pipe which was damaged during Storm Ciara.
Thousands of properties have had their water supply restored and the rest are expected to be restored by the weekend.
It is possible that some customers may notice some discolouration caused by naturally occurring pipe sediment being disturbed as the water pressure increases. The advice is to run the tap at a slow and steady trickle until it clears. Customers do not need to be concerned and there is plenty of information on the United Utilities website.
In the meantime bottled water stations will remain open as long as customers still need them. United Utilities is also continuing to support farmers until things return to normal and a dedicated helpline is open for them to use.
In order to boost the water pressure water tankers are still injecting extra supplies into the water network.
Martin Padley, Water Service Director at United Utilities, said: “Our teams will continue to work around the clock to get water supplies back to normal. I want to thank all the other agencies who have been supporting us throughout this difficult incident with logistics and sharing information with the community.
“It’s important to stress that if you have water coming through your taps you can use it as normal.
“We understand how inconvenient the last few days have been and we will be paying compensation automatically to everyone who has been affected for more than 12 hours.”
Residents can still collect bottled water from United Utilities at the following locations:
• Brough Memorial Hall, Brough, CA17 4AS
• Glenridding Village Hall, Penrith, CA11 OQA
• The Crown Inn, Ivegill, CA4 0PT
• Shap Memorial Hall, Shap, Penrith CA10 3NL
• Market Square, Kirkby Stephen, CA17 4QN
• Moot Hall, Boroughgate, Appleby-in-Westmorland, CA16 6XE
• Pooley Bridge Village Hall, Pooley Bridge, Penrith, CA10 2NL
• Greystoke Village Greystoke, Penrith, CA11 0TP
• Tebay Services (Northbound), Westmorland Place, Orton, CA10 3SB
The helpline for farmers is 0345 072 6071 and all customers can see the latest information about water supplies on United Utilities website.
Notes to editors:
Further updates and information can be found at https://www.unitedutilities.com/emergencies/current-incidents/appleby-shap-orton-and-ravenstonedale/
For further information contact United Utilities press office on 0345 072 0822 or email email@example.com