Moving home FAQs

Have a look through our frequently asked questions to see if we can answer your question.

  • It’s quick and easy to tell us you are moving home online. You can find out everything you need to know as well as updating your address details here. 

    Ideally, we need to know about your move no more than 28 days before the removal van turns up on your doorstep. 

    Are you registered with My Account? This is the easiest and fastest way to manage your water account online, including updating your address details.

  • We supply water across the North West region, from Carlisle to Crewe. Our patch includes Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, most of Cheshire and a small part of Derbyshire.

    If you're new to the area, you'll need to set up your account with us so we can bill your correctly for your water services. You can also check to see if we are your water company by entering your postcode.

  • Assuming you have already contacted us to let us know about your move, the final bill for your old home will be sent to your new address and should arrive within a week of you moving into your new home.

    If your new home doesn't have a water meter, your new charges will either be included in the final bill from your old address or sent out as a separate bill.

    If your new home has a water meter, you will receive a bill from us every time we take a meter reading. We read your water meter every six months, so your first bill could arrive any time within the first six months of moving into your new home. Don't forget, you can also receive your bills electronically when you register for My Account and choose 'paperless billing'. Once registered you can also pay your bill online, set up a Direct Debit and submit meter readings.

  • Please call us on 0345 026 7661 or use landlord tap to register the tenant's details or, alternatively, ask your tenant to contact us as soon as possible.

    We’re open 8am - 8pm Monday to Thursday, 8am - 6pm on Fridays and 8am - 4pm on Saturdays.

  • Please check your tenancy agreement to find out who is responsible for paying your water bill. If your landlord is responsible then they should contact us with their details, otherwise you'll be responsible for paying your water charges.

  • In 1990 it became compulsory for all new homes to be fitted with a water meter. If the home you have moved into was built before 1990, a previous occupier will have asked us to fit a water meter. When you move into a home which already has a water meter fitted, you cannot make a request for it to be removed. In short, the law (The Water Industry Act) does not permit the removal of a meter in these circumstances. You can find further information about water meters here

    Don’t forget, we have a range of items you can order for FREE which can help lower your bill by reducing your water wastage.

  • When you first move into your new home, you will need to call us on 0345 026 7661 to let us know the date you moved into your new address and also provide your first meter reading. After this, we'll then read your water meter every 6 months. Or, you can submit your meter readings online via My Account.

    Not sure how to read your meter? Find out here.

  • If a water supply is needed for any purpose, for example renovation or central heating, then you are required to pay charges. This still applies when the property is empty. If you don’t need a water supply, we may arrange for this to be temporarily disconnected. We would recommend contacting us on 0345 072 6065 to arrange a water meter to be fitted, this way you will only pay for the water you use which could help to reduce your bill.

  • If you’re not using any water at the property, please let us know by calling us on  0345 026 7661 so that we can update your water account and stop sending bills. We may disconnect your water supply to avoid the risk of water leaks. If you need water for any reason, including heating or cleaning, then charges are still payable.

  • Yes you still have to pay water charges even if you’re away from your property for part of the year. We would recommend contacting us on 0345 072 6065 to arrange a water meter to be fitted, this way you only pay for the water you use when you’re at home which could help to reduce your existing bill. Alternatively we can temporarily disconnect your water supply when you’re away from home for extended periods for safety reasons.