Leaky loos are losing loads
Leaky loos across the North West are leaking between 200 and 400 litres of clean water every day.
One of the biggest culprits for wasting water in the home are toilet cisterns, especially the modern push button types. That’s because modern cisterns tend to overflow into the toilet bowl rather than through a pipe in the wall, making leaks difficult to spot.
A deep dive into leaky loos!
Craig Phillips and Drew Styles discuss everything you need to know when it comes to leaky loos.
A faulty cistern could be dribbling water invisibly down the back of the pan for a long period of time, wasting a lot of water and also costing you money if you’re on a meter – as much as £400 a year if left undetected!
The good news is that it’s really easy to spot if you’ve got a leaky loo.
We spend a lot of time in the loo, as well as using the facilities, it’s a place we might go for some peace and quiet. So whatever else you do, engage with your loo:
- LOOK into the bowl for any signs of trickling, rippling or flowing water between flushes.
- LISTEN for the sound of water as it trickles into the bowl or a faint hissing sound as the cistern is constantly refilling.
- TEST: another way to check for leaks is to wait half an hour after the last flush, dry the back of the toilet bowl before placing a piece of dry toilet paper on it. You’ll soon see the toilet paper get wet if water is trickling down into the toilet from the cistern. If you spot this is happening, you’ve probably got a leaky loo.
If you’re still not sure, you can order a FREE easy-to-use LeakyLoo strip to check if your loo is leaking. Just visit GetWaterFit and order your free strip and other great water saving items.
- Easy to use – wait half an hour after the last flush, wipe the back of the pan dry with toilet tissue so it’s dry, peel back the adhesive cover and place the strip horizontally across the back of the pan.
- Leak detection – in the morning (providing the toilet’s not been used overnight), you’ll be able to see if the overflow in your cistern has a leak. If the strip is altered, then you have a leak.
- Easy disposal – LeakyLoo is made of biodegradable water soluble paper which flushes away without blockage or damage to the environment.