Burst water pipe?

Burst and leaking pipes can cause damage to your home or business, so being prepared will help to reduce the impact of flooding from burst pipes, which can be extremely distressing as well as costly and time-consuming to repair.

If you do have a burst pipe, don't panic, follow our advice below: 

  • Find your stop tap, which is usually under the kitchen sink and turn it clockwise to turn off the water. Watch our video below for advice on how to find your stop tap.
  • Turn off your heating, open all your taps to drain the system quickly.
  • Soak up any escaping water with towels.
  • Check with your home insurance company to see if you’re covered for leaks and bursts or call a plumber.
  • If you need to find a plumber in your area visit www.watersafe.org.uk
  • If water has leaked near your electrics switch them off at the mains.

Please think about your family, friends and vulnerable neighbours and share this information with them too.

Find your stop tap and check that it works

Your stop tap controls the flow of water into your home. It’s usually found under the kitchen sink, or sometimes in the cellar or garage. It’s handy to know where it is so you can turn the water off quickly if your pipes freeze or burst.

Found it? Make sure your stop tap is working. It's also worth checking if your household Insurance covers burst pipes.