If you have no water
If you have no water or your water pressure has dropped so there's only a trickle coming out of the tap, don’t panic:
- Check your post to see if we've sent you a card to let you know that we'll be turning the water off to carry out work in your area.
- Check to see if there’s an emergency in your area
- Ask your neighbours if they have water
If you're the only one without water, you could have frozen pipes, here’s what you can do:
First thing is to turn off your stop tap, usually found under your kitchen sink.
Turn on your cold tap in the kitchen and if it’s safe to do so use a hairdryer set to warm or hot water bottle to thaw the pipe. Depending on how frozen your pipes are, this could take 10 or 15 minutes.
Switch your stop tap back on to see if the water is running and check for any leaks in your home.
If this doesn’t work, you’ll need to:
- Check with your home insurance company to see if you’re covered for frozen pipes or call a plumber
- If you need to find a plumber in your area visit www.watersafe.org.uk (WEB opens in a new window)