Is my new home supplied by United Utilities?

We supply water across the North West region, from Carlisle to Crewe. Our patch includes Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, most of Cheshire and a small part of Derbyshire.

If you're new to the area, you'll need to set up your account with us so we can bill your correctly for your water services. You can also check to see if we are your water company by entering your postcode.

Need help with anything else? Please Contact us.

Related Frequently Asked Questions

I'm moving house, what do I need to do?

It’s quick and easy to tell us you are moving home online.

I've moved house - when will I receive a bill?

Assuming you have already contacted us on 0345 026 7661 to let us know about your move, the final bill for your old home will be sent to your new address and should arrive within a week of moving into your new home.

Why is there a water meter at my new property?

All new properties built since 1990 are fitted with a water meter.