I want to discharge trade effluent

If your business involves the manufacture or processing of materials such as chemicals, metal finishing, food and drink manufacture, or even if you operate a car wash or laundrette, then it is likely that you will need a trade effluent consent from us.

However, food retailers (pubs, restaurants and cafes etc) currently do not need a trade effluent consent. Please check our site regularly for updates.

The disposal of groundwater during land remediation projects should also be passed to foul sewer and not to the surface water system. Such discharges also require our permission.

If you want to discharge industrial wastewater into our sewerage system, please contact us so we can get a better understanding of your business and whether you need a consent. You will also need to supply us with a comprehensive site drainage plan, details of your water meter and a designated sample point.

Your local Trade Effluent Controller will contact you to arrange a site visit and discuss the next steps.

Next steps

  1. If you discharge any effluent to the public sewer that is a part of any process on your site, then you will need to apply for a Consent to Discharge.
  2. Complete the online enquiry form with as much detail as possible. Please also gather details of your water meter, a comprehensive site drainage plan of site, and a designated sample point.
  3. Once we receive your enquiry form, your local Trade Effluent Controller will contact you to arrange a site visit to go through the official application form and answer any further questions you may have.
  4. Once we’ve received your application form and drainage plan, we will start the approvals process. Your local Trade Effluent Controller will be able to advise you as to where your application is up to.
  5. Once your application is approved, you will receive your Consent to Discharge. This is a legal document and contains the conditions relating to the effluent to be discharged. Your local Trade Effluent Controller will now visit your site on a regular basis to take samples of your effluent and occasionally read your meter. This helps us to monitor your compliance and help to build a better picture of your effluent stream. You will also be invoiced for your application.
  6. Occasionally, initial applications cannot be accepted due to risk to the environment, people and assets. If this happens, we will work with you to come to an amicable agreement to resolve any issues.

Important notice

Hosepipe ban set to come in from August

Lack of rain and increased demand for water means that our reservoirs are now lower than we’d like for this time of year. That’s why a hosepipe ban will be introduced across the North West on 5th August.

Hosepipe ban set to come in from 5th August

Find out more

Please click the button below to confirm you have seen this message

I have read this info