Our household charges 2023/2024
Our household charges scheme relates to the period starting from 1st April 2023 to 31st March 2024.
Below is a summary of our tariffs that form part of our charges scheme for 2023/2024 (PDF 6,308 KB opens in a new window). We are delighted that our charges scheme for 2023/24 has been awarded the Crystal Mark for the clarity of the document.
Our expected average household water bill for 2023/24 is £443, an increase of 6.4 per cent compared to our 2022/23 charges.
Your water bill will be more or less than this amount depending on the services you receive from us and whether you have a water meter or your charges are based on your home's rateable value. Please visit 'Understanding your bill' to watch a short video which explains how we calculate your charges.
In straightforward terms, we charge you for the following services:
- Supplying clean water to your home
- Taking away and cleaning all your dirty water (which we call sewerage services)
- Taking away all the rainwater that falls on your home and the public roads and footpaths
- Standing charges to cover customer services such as reading your water meter (if you have one), sending bills and dealing with enquiries
Please note that the charges shown do not include VAT and are annual, unless stated otherwise.
Household charges if you don't have a water meter
Unmeasured water charges
Charge per £RV*
Unmeasured sewerage charges
|Foul drainage charge per £RV||Surface water drainage charge per £RV||Highway drainage charge per £RV||Total charge per £RV*|
|No surface water drainage service||£1.119||n/a||£0.228||£1.347|
|Surface water drainage and highway drainage services only||n/a||£0.503||£0.228||£0.731|
*RV charges: if you don't have a water meter, your bill is a fixed amount each year based on the rateable value of your home. To calculate your bill, we multiply your rateable or charging value by the £RV charge shown in the table above.
Household charges if you have a water meter
Measured water charges
Volumetric charge per m3
Assumes a 15mm meter has been fitted.
Measured sewerage charges
|Standing charge||Foul drainage volumetric charge per m3||Surface water drainage fixed charge||Highway drainage fixed charge|
|No surface water drainage service||£4.98||£1.325||n/a||£34.96|
Assessed charges - when we're unable to fit a water meter
If you live in a household property and you have applied to have a meter fitted free of charge (including altered household properties) but a meter cannot be installed, an assessed charge is available. It is a fixed annual amount varying according to the type of property, except where only one person lives at the property:
|Type of premises||Water||Sewerage||Total|
|Single person household (not applicable to any property with a swimming pool larger than 10,000 litres)||£103.42||£177.94||£281.36|
|Detached (includes houses, link detached houses and bungalows)*||£261.72||£283.51||£545.23|
|Semi-detached (includes houses and semi-detached bungalows)*||£236.02||£266.38||£502.40|
|Other household premises (includes flats and terraced houses)*||£172.57||£224.08||£396.65|
Larger property - a property which either:
*excludes properties which meet the larger property criteria
If premises are not connected to the public sewer system for surface water drainage, either directly or indirectly, the sewerage charge for each type of premises will be reduced by £75.33
WaterSure - a charge for vulnerable groups
If you are eligible for this charge it is based on the average household charge.
|Average household charge||£210.13||£233.27||£443.40|
If properties are not connected to the public sewer system for surface water drainage, either directly or indirectly, the sewerage charge will be £157.94
Help to pay
If you are eligible the annual charges are:
If you are eligible the annual charges are:
- Discount for Direct Debit payers - if you pay by Direct Debit we will give you a discount of £5 per year. If you pay your water services through a registered social landlord or local authority that has agreed to receive your water charges and pass them on to us, you will receive a discount of £10 per year.
- Owners' discount - We will give you a discount of 3.5% per year if you enter into an agreement with us to pay water services charges for one or more household properties that you own and let to tenants. To qualify for the discount, payment must be made as stated on your bill.
- Other water companies' charges - charges will be different if you live near the borders of our area and receive water supply or sewerage services from another company.
- Enquiries over how properties are charged - if you are moving into a household property within our area you can obtain details of our charges for that property by telephoning 0345 672 2888.
Our assurance statement - charges submission 2023/2024 can be viewed here (PDF 1,269 KB opens in a new window)