When do I need to notify you of work I plan to do?

As part of the Regulations you are required to notify the Water Undertaker of any proposed changes or alterations to your plumbing or any material change of use of any premises or part of the premises.

This applies to water system installations in connection with any of the following:

  1. The erection of any new building or structure.
  2. The extension or alteration of the water system in any premises except a domestic dwelling.
  3. The material change of use of any premises.
  4. The installation of:
    1. A bath larger than 230 litres (measured to the centre of the overflow);
    2. A bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose;
    3. A shower unit of a type specified by the Regulator (none are currently specified);
    4. A pump or booster drawing more than 12 litres per minute;
    5. A reverse osmosis unit;
    6. A water treatment unit producing a waste water discharge or requiring water for regeneration or cleaning;
    7. A reduced pressure zone (RPZ) valve or other mechanical device for protection against backflow in fluid category 4 or 5;
    8. A garden watering system unless designed to be hand operated;
    9. Any water system laid outside a building and either less than 750mm or more than 1350mm below ground level;
  5. Construction of an automatically-replenished pond or swimming pool of more than 10,000 litres

Notifications should be in writing by using the notification form that can be found here.

Find watersafe approved plumbers

An Approved Contractor (Approved Plumber) will not have to notify in advance of the work, but certify upon completion of the work. To find an approved plumber in your area visit the WaterSafe website.

Visit WaterSafe