Before operating any of our apparatus please note the following information.
Standpipe use on our network can present a contamination risk to our mains through the various processes and works they are used at. Therefore when connecting / disconnecting the standpipe you must ensure strict hygiene procedures are followed at all times.
When attaching a standpipe (this applies to all types of hydrant outlets) you must:
- Clean out the hydrant pit of any debris
- Flush the hydrant to clear the connection point
- Spray the hydrant and standpipe with disinfection spray (e.g. Milton’s)
- Do not cross thread the outlet
- Do not apply any bending or sideways load to the standpipe
- Visually inspect the standpipe to confirm it is fitted correctly
- Operate the spindle at arms length
- Do not stand directly over the hydrant pit as any failure of the unit could result in water and debris being forced vertically upwards
- Always open and close the hydrant in a slow and controlled manner
If any hydrant does fail in operation please report it to United Utilities immediately. You can call our friendly team on 0345 672 3723.