Are you unhappy with the service you have received from us?

We hope you never have to complain, but we know that we don’t always get everything right.

If you feel we’ve fallen short and haven’t been able to help sort your issue, please phone our complaints team on the numbers below and we’ll try to help you there and then. And if we can’t resolve things straight away, we promise to come back to you as soon as we can.

  • To talk to us about your bill, payment issues or how we charge you, please call 0345 075 0711
  • To talk to us about water or wastewater issues, please call 0345 075 0713
  • If you're feeling social, please send us a message on Twitter or Facebook
  • You can also contact us by completing our online form
  • Write to: United Utilities, PO Box 453, Warrington, WA55 1SE

We would prefer to speak to you to get your complaint resolved as quickly as possible - We're here to help between 8am-8pm, Monday to Friday and 8am-4pm on Saturday. If you have hearing or speech difficulties and use a textphone, please dial 18001 before dialing this number.

Stage 1: Complaint

We will do all we can to resolve your complaint over the telephone. However, if we are unable to contact you by telephone we will send you a written reply within 10 working days at the latest. When we reply you will be given the name of the person owning your complaint with a telephone number should you wish to contact them.

Stage 2: Complaint

If you’re not happy with our response, please give us a call as soon as possible on one of the phone numbers above so we can discuss the matter further. We want to do all we can to put things right. We will also escalate your complaint to an agent who has not been involved in your initial complaint who will carry out an independent review.

Stage 3: Consumer Council for Water

If you feel that your complaint is not resolved following Stage 1 and 2, you can refer your complaint to the Consumer Council for Water (CCW), the independent body that represents customer interests. You can also ask them to investigate your complaint if it's not resolved within 8 weeks.

Stage 4: Water Redress Scheme

If you remain dissatisfied following Stage 3, you may then be eligible to take your concerns to the Water Redress Scheme (WATRS) who will provide an independent binding decision. You will need notification from CCW before your complaint is eligible to be dealt with by WATRS.

For further information, see our Complaints Procedure booklet (PDF 2,628 KB opens in a new window) which explains fully the steps we take to resolve any issues you've had with the services you've received from us. We will resolve all complaints within 10 days but we are currently resolving 80% of complaints within 5 working days.

What to do if you feel that our response doesn't help to resolve your issue

You will then be able to refer your complaint to the Consumer Council for Water, an independent body that represents customer interests. Their contact details are: Consumer Council for Water, First Floor, Victoria Square House, Victoria Square, Birmingham B2 4AJ, Tel: 0300 034 2222 or visit the Consumer Council for Water website.

Our customer promises

We aim to give you great service and your satisfaction is really important to us, so we aim to keep improving what we do by listening to your needs. And if things go wrong, we’ll put it right as quickly as possible and, where necessary, we’ll compensate you.

Our Standards of Service booklet (PDF 2.6 MB opens in a new window) sets out all the standards you can expect to receive from us and what we'll do if things go wrong.