Is my new home supplied by United Utilities?

We supply water across the North West region, from Carlisle to Crewe. Our patch includes Cumbria, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside, most of Cheshire and a small part of Derbyshire.

If you're new to the area, you'll need to set up your account with us so we can bill your correctly for your water services. You can also check to see if we are your water company by entering your postcode.

Need help with anything else? Please Contact us.

Related Frequently Asked Questions

I'm moving house, what do I need to do?

We know that moving home is stressful enough without worrying about your water supply – just give us a quick call on 0345 026 7661 and we’ll make the whole thing as easy as possible.

When should I let you know about my move?

Please let us know the date you are moving as close to your move date as possible (but no sooner than 28 days before your move) so that we can update our records.

Why is there a water meter at my new property?

All new properties built since 1990 are fitted with a water meter.