If you've been flooded by sewage inside or outside your home, we understand this is a distressing and anxious time. You can report flooding to us by clicking here to use our online tool or call us on 0345 672 3723 as soon as possible and we'll send a team to help with the clean up.
- We can remove sewage flood water from your home or garden
- We will clean and disinfect areas affected by the sewage flood
- We will help with the clean-up of the public highway if this has been affected by the sewage flooding incident.
If sewage flooding enters your home we automatically refund your sewerage charge for the year (minimum payment £150 up to a maximum of £1,000 per incident).
In addition to this sum, we will automatically pay you up to £100 for the disturbance the sewage flooding causes. We will determine the amount payable on a case-by-case basis.
For more information, please see our standards of service (PDF 576 KB opens in a new window).
We investigate the cause of sewage flooding following all reported incident.
You should also take the following precautions to protect you and your family:
- Give your insurance company or landlord a call straight away
- Wash your hands after being in contact with flood water
- Wash clothing and fabrics through to destroy any harmful bugs
- Dry all affected areas thoroughly. Inside your property, use heating and good ventilation, as this will help with the drying process
- Keep open cuts or sores clean and covered up at all times
- Let children play in flood water or grassed/paved areas until those areas have been thoroughly cleaned
- Try to clean waterlogged garden areas or dig over contaminated soil; leave the sewage residue to decay naturally.
As a guide to the number of days you should leave your garden before cleaning up, please see the table below.