I want to discharge trade effluent

If your business involves the manufacture or processing of materials such as chemicals, metal finishing, food and drink manufacture, or even if you operate a car wash or launderette, then it is likely that you will need a trade effluent consent from us.

Trade effluent control applies to all businesses, from independent traders to large multi-national companies. Even small discharges of only a few litres a day may require consent.

However, food service establishments (pubs, restaurants and cafes etc) currently do not need a trade effluent consent. Please check our web site regularly for updates.

The disposal of groundwater during land remediation projects if discharged to foul sewer also requires our permission.

In order to discharge trade effluent from a trade premises to the public sewer in the North West you will require permission from United Utilities. We call this a ‘trade effluent consent’ and it is a legal requirement for trade effluent discharges.

If you undertake a trade effluent process and require consent to discharge into the public foul sewer, please contact your retailer who will provide you with the relevant application form to complete and submit on your behalf. A drainage plan must be provided with the application.

Next steps

1. If you discharge any manufacturing or processing effluent to the public sewer, then you will need to apply for a Consent to Discharge

2. Your retailer will be able to advise on the application process and provide the necessary application form

3. The application form must be completed in full and your retailer will submit the application on your behalf

4. Once we’ve received your application and drainage plan from your retailer, we will start the approvals process

5. If your application is approved, you will receive your Consent to Discharge. This is a legal document and contains the conditions relating to the effluent to be discharged

6. Occasionally, applications cannot be accepted due to risk to the environment, people and assets. If this happens, we will work with you to come to an amicable agreement to resolve any issues

7. Your local Trade Effluent Controller will visit your site to take samples of your effluent. This enables us to monitor your compliance against the conditions in your consent