As you begin to plan your development, our team of engineers will work with you to agree your site drainage strategy, points of connection to the wastewater network, and discharge rates.
Early discussion with our engineers can avoid delays at a later stage of the process.
Our team can also provide advice around solutions to potential drainage problems, such as requisitioning a new public sewer and how to divert a public sewer that might be in the way of your development.
All pre-development enquiries should be made using the Wastewater pre-development enquiry form (PDF 250 KB opens in a new window).
Before you complete the form, you may find it helpful to read the information below, and also review water and wastewater asset maps for your site. A number of companies offer mapping services, including United Utilities. If you would like to purchase a sewer or water plan from us please see our Property Searches service.
To support you in the early stages of planning a development, here are some high level principles for draining new developments.
- We will assist the draining of developments in a sustainable manner.
- Surface water from new developments should not be connected to the public combined sewerage system.
- All options for Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) must be explored in accordance with planning practice guidelines.
- We have no legal duty to accept highway drainage from new developments into the public sewerage system. However, in some cases highway drainage will be considered as part of the overall attenuated surface water drainage strategy.
- We will not accept land drainage discharges to the public sewer network.
Where you are designing discharges to ponds and/or to ditches on low level flat sites, please talk to us before you start to ensure your site levels are adequate.
Please contact us as early as possible regarding the drainage of your new development. Our drainage engineers can provide drainage advice to help with your plans but, please bear in mind, it may be superseded by the requirements of the Planning Authority as part of their planning conditions.
For further information contact us at WastewaterDeveloperServices@uuplc.co.uk