Diverting Our Pipes

House extensionIf there are existing pipes in your garden or around your property which are affecting your plans, you may need to locate them and move them out of the way of your development. You will need to apply to us to ask for a diversion. We will then review your application and undertake this chargable work on your behalf.

You can use our Property Searches service, to check if there are any of our pipes on your development. These give an indication of the position and nature of the mains, but the accuracy of the information is not guaranteed and should not be relied on for development purposes. 

Contact us early on in your development, so we can work with you to ensure your project goes to plan.

Before you start your development, the exact location of our pipes must be determined to prevent any damage. This may require trial hole excavations. 

Diverting a water main

If you need to divert a water main please download and complete an Application for a water main diversion (PDF 335 KB opens in new window).

There is a charge of £776.40 (incl VAT) for processing your application and providing a quotation for the work required.

Building over or diverting a sewer

If there is a sewer in your garden that is affecting your development we would request that you locate the sewer and apply for a sewer diversion. If, after our engineering assessment, a sewer diversion is not possible then we may consider a build over agreement depending upon foundation detail, loading onto the sewer, ground support for the building, and sewer access.

If it is agreed that you need to divert a sewer, our Sewer diversions guide (S185) (PDF 134 KB opens in a new window) provides all of the information you should need.

You can then complete a Sewer diversion application form (S185) (PDF 345 KB opens in a new window). For our requirements for technical drawings, please see our Developer Services Construction details document (PDF 2,181 KB opens in a new window).

If we agree (in writing) for a developer to construct the sewer diversion, they must enter into a legal agreement and their contractor must complete a Request for permission to work on a public sewer form. You and/or your contractor must not complete any work on the public sewer without prior agreement from us.

If you need any help with your application or want further information about sewer diversions, please contact the team at seweradoptions@uuplc.co.uk