Sewer Diversions

If the location of a public sewer is preventing your site from being developed, or your property extension from progressing, it may be possible to divert the sewer.

In order to do this, you will have to enter into a legal agreement with us.

Our Sewer diversions guide (S185) (PDF 130 KB opens in a new window) provides all of the information you should need for a sewer diversion.

You can then complete a Sewer diversion application form (S185) (PDF 245 KB opens in a new window). For our requirements for technical drawings, please see our Developer Services Construction details document (PDF 2,181 KB opens in a new window).

If we agree (in writing) for a developer to construct the sewer diversion, they must enter into a legal agreement and their contractor must complete a Request for permission to work on a public sewer form (PDF 368 KB opens in a new window). You and/or your contractor must not complete any work on the public sewer without prior agreement from us.

If you need any help with your application or want further information about sewer diversions, please contact the team at