Our charges scheme is designed for our customers and sets out charges for services relating to the water and sewerage network or other work required on the water and sewerage network as a result of a development.
New connections and developer services charges
Our charges for the period starting 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022 are outlined in our
For details on our water connections charges for small developments, please see our Quick guide for house builders 2021/22 (PDF 2,030 KB opens in a new window)
Details of previous years charges are outlined in our:
- Our new connections charges rules 2021/22 (PDF 198 KB opens in a new window)
- Statement of significant changes 2021/22 (PDF 212 KB opens in a new window)
- Assurance statement for new connection services 2021/22 (PDF 138 KB opens in a new window)
- Our new connections charging rules 2020/21 (PDF 2.2 MB opens in a new window)
- Statement of significant changes 2020/21(PDF 224 KB opens in a new window)
- Assurance statement for new connection services 2020/21 (PDF 650 KB opens in a new window)
New charging rules came into place with effect from 2018/19. Further details can be found in the documents below:
Transition arrangements for charges schemes
Charges prior to 1 April 2018
New charging rules came into place with effect from 2018/19, therefore some sites have been quoted prior to this date and sit within a transition period for site specific work and infrastructure charges. These are detailed below.
Site specific work transitional arrangements
In relation to site specific work, the following applies:
- Quotations for some site specific work provided under the old rules, and accepted before 01 April 2018, are to continue to apply until 01 April 2023 unless the customer and the company agree to vary the quotation.
- Where the legal agreement is already in place in relation to charges for the site specific work carried out as part of an adoption, then the charges defined within that agreement remain valid for the life of the agreement unless the customer and the company agree to vary those charges.
- Charges relating to the old charging rules, will be adjusted by inflation if the quotation or legal agreement includes an appropriate provision for adjusting the charge.
Infrastructure charges transitional arrangements
In relation to infrastructure charges the following applies:
- For connections completed before the 31 March 2018 the infrastructure will be charged at the 2017/18 rates.
- For connections completed from the 01 April 2018, infrastructure charges will be applied dependent on when the main or sewer was laid as detailed below:
- Separate charges are payable for water and sewerage connections.
- After 01 April 2018, connections made to a main or sewer that were provided as a requisition between 1991 and April 2018 will be charged under the old infrastructure charge in accordance with licence condition C. The charges recovered in accordance with licence condition C are capped at the method outlined in the condition.
- After 01 April 2018 connections made to assets, other than those above, will be charged in accordance with the new infrastructure charge as defined in the Charges Scheme Rule.
Charges between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2020
New charging rules are coming into effect 1 April 2020 which means the income offset payment is moving to be paid against infrastructure charges and will no longer be paid against requisition charges.
For details on our transition arrangements for those schemes already underway or due to start imminently, please see our transition rules
Scheme/connection budgeting tool
Infrastructure Charges for Sustainable Homes
A reduced rate will apply to infrastructure charges for developments which meet specified qualifying criteria.
Sustainable water infrastructure charge
Qualifying criteria - where you can demonstrate, using the WRC water calculator, that properties are built with water efficient fittings and fixed appliances that mean water usage would not exceed the potential consumption of 100 litres per person, per day.
How do I apply?
- To apply for a discount on your water infrastructure you must identify your request on your application for water services.
- A completed water calculator form, all relevant product specification sheets and a completed disclaimer (signed by the developer) must be submitted to us no later than the signed Water Adoption Agreement being returned to us for self-lay mains laying schemes or a signed Acceptance Note being returned to us for all other developments.
- Late or retrospective applications for the sustainable infrastructure charge cannot be accepted onto the scheme.
Note that your site will be audited to verify the fixtures and fittings included in the application to ensure compliance. Should we establish through audit that the fixtures and fittings do not comply with the accepted calculator or specifications, we will notify you and the wholes site will be removed from the scheme with full infrastructure charges payable.
- The water calculator is designed to help compliance with Building Regulations Approved Document G. It is designed for the ‘whole house’. All parts of the calculator need to be completed to obtain a correct result. Missing information will be highlighted if a whole house is not completed.
- WRc provide a frequently asked questions document which can be found here.
- The water calculator uses the methodology and formulae laid down by the UK Government Department for Communities and Local Government.
- The water calculator uses products registered in the WEPLS database (Water Efficient Product Labelling Scheme). It also allows manual additions for products that are not yet listed in WEPLS.
- Products registered in the WEPLS database fully conform with the requirements of the Water Regulations 1999.
Sustainable sewerage infrastructure charge
Qualifying criteria - where you can demonstrate that properties are built with no surface water connection to the public sewer, the surface water will need to drain to either a watercourse or an infiltration system. This will need to be via a private or adoptable sewer network, and not through an existing public sewer.
How do I apply?
- To apply for a discount on your sewerage infrastructure you must identify your request on your application for water services.
- Provide supporting evidence in the form of a drainage layout plan that confirms drainage connectivity of the properties affected by the application.
Please note, you may be audited to verify your application. Should we establish through audit that the drainage point for surface water does not comply with the accepted calculator or specifications, we will notify you and the wholes site will be removed from the scheme with full infrastructure charges payable.