Our charges scheme is designed for our customers and sets out charges for services relating to the water and sewerage network or other work required on the water and sewerage network as a result of a development.
Charges for new connections and developer services charges
Our charges for the period starting from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 are outlined in our:
For details on our water connections charges for small developments, please see our Quick guide for house builders 2020/21 (PDF 363 KB opens in a new window)
Details of previous years charges are outlined in our:
New charging rules came into place with effect from 2018/19. Further details can be found in the documents below:
- Our new connections charging rules 2019/20 (PDF 472 KB opens in a new window)
- New connections compliance with competition law and charging rules (PDF 472 KB opens in a new window)
- Assurance statement for new connection services 2019/20 (PDF 650KB opens in a new window)
Transition arrangements for charges schemes
Charges prior to 1 April 2018
New charging rules came into place with effect from 2018/19, therefore some sites have been quoted prior to this date and sit within a transition period for site specific work and infrastructure charges. These are detailed below.
Site specific work transitional arrangements
In relation to site specific work, the following applies:
- Quotations for some site specific work provided under the old rules, and accepted before 01 April 2018, are to continue to apply until 01 April 2023 unless the customer and the company agree to vary the quotation.
- Where the legal agreement is already in place in relation to charges for the site specific work carried out as part of an adoption, then the charges defined within that agreement remain valid for the life of the agreement unless the customer and the company agree to vary those charges.
- Charges relating to the old charging rules, will be adjusted by inflation if the quotation or legal agreement includes an appropriate provision for adjusting the charge.
Infrastructure charges transitional arrangements
In relation to infrastructure charges the following applies:
- For connections completed before the 31 March 2018 the infrastructure will be charged at the 2017/18 rates.
- For connections completed from the 01 April 2018, infrastructure charges will be applied dependent on when the main or sewer was laid as detailed below:
- Separate charges are payable for water and sewerage connections.
- After 01 April 2018, connections made to a main or sewer that were provided as a requisition between 1991 and April 2018 will be charged under the old infrastructure charge in accordance with licence condition C. The charges recovered in accordance with licence condition C are capped at the method outlined in the condition.
- After 01 April 2018 connections made to assets, other than those above, will be charged in accordance with the new infrastructure charge as defined in the Charges Scheme Rule.
Charges between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2020
New charging rules are coming into effect 1 April 2020 which means the income offset payment is moving to be paid against infrastructure charges and will no longer be paid against requisition charges.
For details on our transition arrangements for those schemes already underway or due to start imminently, please see our transition rules
Scheme/connection budgeting tool
Infrastructure discount for sustainable homes
For 2019/20 a reduced rate will apply to infrastructure charges for developments which meet specified qualifying criteria. This discount only applies to the infrastructure charge in the 2019/20 charges scheme.
Water infrastructure discount
Qualifying criteria - where you can demonstrate, using the water calculator, that properties are built with water efficient fittings and fixed appliances that mean water usage would not exceed the potential consumption of 110 litres per person, per day.
How do I apply?
- To apply for a discount on your water infrastructure you must identify your request on your application for water services.
- A completed water calculator form should be submitted with your application.
Note that you will be audited to verify the application.
- The water calculator is designed to help compliance with The Code for Sustainable Homes and Building Regulations Approved Document G. It is designed for the ‘whole house’. All parts of the calculator need to be completed to obtain a correct result. Missing information will be highlighted if a whole house is not completed.
- The water calculator uses the methodology and formulae laid down by the UK Government Department for Communities and Local Government.
- The water calculator uses products registered in the WEPLS database (Water Efficient Product Labelling Scheme). It also allows manual additions for products that are not yet listed in WEPLS.
- Products registered in the WEPLS database fully conform with the requirements of the Water Regulations 1999.
Sewerage infrastructure discount
Qualifying criteria - where you can demonstrate that properties are built with no surface water connection to the public sewer, the surface water will need to drain to either a watercourse or an infiltration system. This will need to be via a private or adoptable sewer network, and not through an existing public sewer.
How do I apply?
- To apply for a discount on your sewerage infrastructure you must identify your request on your application for water services.
- Provide supporting evidence in the form of a drainage layout plan that confirms drainage connectivity of the properties affected by the application.
Please note, you may be audited to verify your application.