Sewer diversions

Under Section 185 of the Water Industry Act 1991, a builder or developer can request that a public sewer is altered or removed to allow a site to be improved.

Our S185 Sewer Diversions Guide (PDF 155 KB opens in a new window) should provide all of the information that you need to support you with a possible sewer diversion. You can then complete the S185 sewer diversions application form (PDF 422 KB opens in a new window). Please send your completed form either by email to or by post to United Utilities Developer Services, Grasmere House, Second Floor, Lingley Mere Business Park, Lingley Green Avenue, Great Sankey, Warrington WA5 3LP.

If we agree (in writing) for a developer to construct the sewer diversion, they must enter into a legal agreement and their contractor must complete a Request for permission to work on a public sewer form (PDF 169 KB opens in a new window). For our requirements for technical drawings, please see our standard Developer Services Construction details document (PDF 2,181 KB opens in a new window).

You and/or your contractor must not complete any work on the public sewer without prior agreement from United Utilities.