Find out what to do – right here!
If you’ve got a burst pipe, you need to act fast to minimise damage, so here’s what to do:
Email this page
- Collect water from the leak - if it's through the ceiling, collect it in a bucket. If the ceiling bulges, pierce the plaster with a broom handle to let water through.
- Switch off your central heating.
- Turn off the stop tap and turn on the taps to drain your water system.
- Don't touch any wiring or switches that you think may have been affected. If in doubt, turn off your electricity at the mains.
- Call a plumber.
- After the leak has been fixed, air the affected areas by keeping doors and windows open; do not overheat affected rooms as this could cause more damage.
- Leave windows, doors and built-in cupboards open during the day, if possible.