Home emergency cover through HomeServe

Homeserve branded t shirt and van
  Although we try to help our customers in any way we can, there are times when things happen in the home and you need to turn to someone else.

  We work with HomeServe, one of the UK's leading home assistance providers, to offer cover for our customers.

  From dripping taps and blocked drains to pest infestations and security emergencies, you can choose from a range of policies sold arranged and administered by HomeServe and underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited. So if things go wrong, a HomeServe approved engineer will be there to help get things sorted.


About HomeServe

Homeserve tick HomeServe UK based claims number available 24 hours, 365 days a year

Homeserve tick A HomeServe approved engineer will be there for you

Homeserve tick Engineers available in your local area

Homeserve tick Emergency claims given priority

Terms and Conditions apply


Find out how home emergency cover could help you in the event of household emergencies and incidents by clicking on the link below. Please note that cover is for homeowners only. You should also check if your existing home insurance or other policies provide cover, expert assistance and repairs in the event of domestic emergencies and incidents, so you're not paying for cover you don't need.


Homeserve find out more


Want to make a claim?

If you are an existing HomeServe customer and want to make a claim, please call:

Visit the HomeServe contact us page for more options and call charges.


HomeServe is a trading name of HomeServe Membership Limited, Cable Drive, Walsall, WS2 7BN (registered in England company no. 2770612), which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for insurance mediation activity under Financial Services Register no. 312518. United Utilities Water Ltd is an appointed representative of HomeServe Membership Limited.