If you're unlucky enough to experience burst pipes, you'll need to act quickly. First of all, don't panic, follow our advice below:
- Find your stop tap, which is usually under the kitchen sink and turn it clockwise to turn off the water. Watch our video below for advice on how to find your stop tap.
- Turn off your heating, open all your taps to drain the system quickly.
- Soak up any escaping water with towels.
- Check with your home insurance company to see if you’re covered for leaks and bursts or call a plumber.
- If you need to find a plumber in your area visit www.watersafe.org.uk
- If water has leaked near your electrics switch them off at the mains.
Please think about your family, friends and vulnerable neighbours and share this information with them too.
We’ll be out and about checking our water mains for leaks and bursts, if you spot a leak in the road or street, please let us know by completing our online form.