Can I nominate a carer, family member or friend speak to United Utilities on my behalf?

Our nominee scheme means that if you have difficulty communicating or find it hard to understand your bill and other information you receive from us, you can nominate a carer, family member or friend to speak to us on your behalf. This person could also call us to register you for our Priority Services if you are unable to yourself.

Related Frequently Asked Questions

What are Priority Services?

We can all benefit from a bit of extra support at some stage in our lives.

How do I add another name to show on the bill?

If you log in or register for My Account you can add your partner's name to show on your bill online.

I have a mental illness, can you help?

If you have or know someone who has mental health issues, our Priority Services are free and registering means that we can offer extra support designed around individual needs.