Thirlmere is an incredible place to visit. Our car parks are open, but at this time toilets will remain closed while we review how they can be opened safely. Keeping our visitors and staff safe is a priority. Of course we encourage people to enjoy our recreational sites, but please do so responsibly.
- Please park responsibly and think of other sites you could visit in case it is busy when you arrive.
- Please keep a safe 2 metre distance from others.
- No swimming. Our sites are often in picturesque but remote locations. They may look inviting, but the water is extremely cold and hides sudden drops. Keep safe and Keep out.
- Please take your rubbish home with you.
- No camping, fires or BBQ's are allowed.
There is currently full public access from the south end of Thirlmere at West Head, along the west road, to the A591 Keswick to Ambleside road. Pedestrian access is available along the lakeshore footpath from Steel End to the dam, although there are certain locations where short detours must be made via the west road due to difficult terrain.
Our project team are also working in the area to install the new pipeline as part of our West Cumbria Water Supplies Project. There are some footpaths around The Benn which have been closed while this work takes place, but we'll get them back open just as soon as we can.
Thank you for your patience while our teams are working and also during the temporary car park closures.