Connecting to a public sewer

iconPlease note our change of address for sewer connection part one and part two applications. So as not to cause you any delays, please send all applications to:

United Utilities Developer Services, Grasmere House, 2nd Floor, Lingley Mere Business Park, Lingley Green Avenue, Great Sankey, Warrington, WA5 3LP

You must have written approval from us before you can connect to a public sewer. Our sewer connection guide (PDF 117 KB opens in a new window) contains all the information you should need to arrange this and to complete a part 1 - sewer connections application form (PDF 280 KB opens in a new window).

Once you have written approval for the proposed sewer connection, your contractor or builder must also apply for permission to carry out the work. We will assess this application to make sure that anybody working on the public sewer is appropriately qualified and can carry out the work safely and to high standards. See our Request to work on public sewer Part 2 – Contractor Guidance Document (PDF 237 KB opens in a new window) for all the information your contractor will need to complete the form.

Please also refer to our standard sewer connections details document (PDF 248 KB opens in a new window) when writing up your application.

The contractor's application form part 2 - request for permission to work on public sewer (PDF 234 KB opens in a new window).

If you are offering your new sewers for adoption, and have completed the relevant Section 104 application form prior to connection, you do not need to complete the Section 106 application to connect to the public sewer form as well. The sewer connection will be picked up in the sewer adoption process.

Your contractor still has to request permission to work on the public sewer.

You and/or your contractor must not complete any work on the public sewer without prior agreement from United Utilities.

For further information, contact the team on 03456 723 723 or email us at

Quick links

Sewer connection guide and supporting documents (including application form)

Request for permission to work on a public sewer